Job Code: 503
Program/Department: Wesley Health Center’s Transitional Housing Program
Reports To: Program Director
Salary Range: Staring salary based on experience, qualification, and budget. (100% time – 40 hours per week) Non-exempt.
Position Purpose: Under direction of the Program Director, the Peer Advocate provides coverage at the front lobby desk, screening and directing visitors, taking incoming phone calls, and monitoring interior and exterior program space, 24 hours a day 7 days a week, for the Weingart Interim Housing Services Program.
- Establish a rapport with clients and express a concern for their well-being.
- Provide support to clients and motivate individuals to adhere to behavior modification program.
- Assist with maintaining complete updated, confidential file on the status of the client and documentation of their progress in changing personal behaviors.
- Contact clients on a daily basis to assess support needs
- Accompany client to health and/or social services referral, encourage compliance, and document progress on appropriate forms.
- Deliver education and skills-building information based on program activities and curriculums
- Share personal life experiences with incarceration, substance abuse, mental health, and other risk behaviors.
- Assist in collecting program data and processing program forms on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in preparing monthly reports to funding agency
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience working with homeless persons.
- Strong ability to communicate with homeless individuals who are actively participating in substance abuse and other factors related to homelessness.
- Personal life experience in overcoming challenges similar to the client.
- Ability to travel and arrive to sites on time within the community.
- Desire to work with homeless persons.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) may be helpful
- High School diploma or GED.
To apply, please fax or email resume or list of qualifications including the job code number to:
JWCH Institute, Inc.
5650 Jillson St.
Commerce, CA 90040
Attn: Human Resources Department
Job Code: 503
Fax Number (323) 215-0170