Job Code: 538
Reports To: Program Director
Salary Range: Staring salary based on experience, qualification, and budget. (75% time – 30 hours per week) Non-exempt.
Position Purpose: The Case Worker performs a variety of services to persons who have experienced homelessness through outreach, health education, clerical, and medical support services. The Case Worker will primarily be stationed at California Hospital and Medical Center (CHMC). This position will also require working with JWCH and in the community to increase linkages and access to health services. The CHW is expected to have an understanding of mental illness and addiction, being willing and ready to engage with clients who struggle with these issues at all levels with a compassionate and nonjudgmental attitude. This position is grant funded for three years, but renewed annually.
- Assist homeless clients referred by CHMC in accessing and navigating a health care medical home, including as needed, scheduling appointments, enrollment and eligibility assessments, and broken appointment follow-up.
- Provide culturally sensitive and linguistically appropriate case management services for homeless clients referred by CHMC, maintaining an active caseload of 25 patients per month. Case Management services include but are not limited to the following:
- Referral to social services ( i.e. behavioral health, housing services, etc.) as needed.
- Visit/contact clients to develop relationships and promote harm reduction.
- Provide and or arrange for health education
- Coordinate transportation for clients to/from appointments, may include accompaniment. (May not drive patient).
- In collaboration with CHMC, including ER and Social Work staff, and JWCH, develop and implement referral procedures.
- Maintain database and documentation of the services provided for clients referring by CHMC. This includes but is not limited to the following: 1) completion of required forms, 2) patients served, 3) intake interviews, 4) follow-up activities and 5) referral resources accessed.
- Develop relationships with area social service agencies to build knowledge of the resources available to clients.
- Participate in regular team meetings, training sessions, seminars, including program and operational planning.
- Perform other duties and tasks as may be required or assigned.
- Maintain a professional disposition while working with multidisciplinary health care team.
- Participate in all safety programs which may include assignment to an emergency response team.
- Other duties assigned.
- Experience handling confidential documents.
- Current California Driver’s License.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Bachelor’s degree in behavioral health field with two years’ experience.
- Must be team player w/strong interpersonal skills able to collaborate with a variety of individuals from a wide range of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Able to communicate tactfully and empathetically, with cultural sensitivity, with staff and patients.
- Ability to be trained to perform a variety of tasks.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual English and Spanish required.
- Current CA Driver's License and available automobile with proof of current liability insurance.
- Candidates with a personal experience of homelessness are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please fax or email resume or list of qualifications including the job code number to:
JWCH Institute, Inc.
5650 Jillson St.
Commerce, CA 90040
Attn: Human Resources Department
Job Code: 538
Fax Number (323) 215-0170